In the last week I have managed to make a bag (No 6. on my Q3 list) for my Mum which came together quite quickly once I finally got the right interfacing and cut out and fused all the pattern pieces.
In the past I have had difficulty here in NZ finding the exact interfacing called for in American patterns and it can be hard to work out what stiffness to use, so this time, as a reference, I ordered the exact ones called for online, so now I can keep a labelled scrap to find a suitable equivalent in a local shop. It took a little while for them to arrive, but now I have a reference in the future and the bag has the right amount of flexibility.
I used a grey/black denim I had in my stash for the body and outer handles of the bag.
I think I learn something new each time I sew something and this time was no exception. This time I learned that I should trust my instincts. The elastic divider inside is too floppy. I'm not sure if this was due to the elastic I used, or whether this is a pattern issue, having not made this bag before. I did have a scrap of elastic at home which I noticed afterwards was a bit stronger and perhaps I inadvertently bought looser elastic, not realising they come in different strengths when the same width. I opted to divide one elasticated inner pocket in half and leave one full width. I didn't adjust the elastic at the time as I wasn't sure how it would turn out once the bag was assembled. A bit disappointing but I'm sure it's not that much of a biggie.
A satisfying finish just before I head off overseas. My next couple of posts will be about the highlights of Barcelona and Lisbon! Get excited- I am! Otherwise I guess I'll be posting my Q4 Finish Along List before long- not much might have changed from my Q3 list, except it might get a bit longer...!